Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Come again another day.

It's not that I don't like rain...I do. I just don't like it so frequently and in combination with such cool weather in May! I think we've had about 6 days of non-rain so far this month. That stinks.

This lousy weather has been especially hard on my "farming" plans. I have not had a chance to till the field and get anything planted in it yet. Of course, that may actually be a good thing in the long run. I really hurt my back the other day - trying to get enough of the field tilled to get some potatoes and beans in before the rain - and the rainy weather is giving my back a chance to heal. It's really too cool to plant a lot anyway. I've already had some beans rot in the ground and the tomatoes I got in the ground earlier have just stopped growing. The ground is just too cold. A friend told me that he saw an interview of farmers on the news and they are having just as hard a time with the weather as I am. As he said, "You just picked a bad year to start farming." Great!:)

In the meantime, the weeds are growing really well. Guess it's time to get out my edible weeds cookbook and start trying out some recipes. Anyone interested in some stinging nettle casserole??

Hope we get some sunshine soon!

No comments: