Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Vagaries of Nature

It's been a wet year so far, and this weekend has been one for the record books, I'm sure. According to Accuweather.com, we received 2.23 inches of rain on Thursday night. Our average monthly rainfall for June is 4.12 inches. So...in one night....one endless evening of wind, pouring rain, hail, and lightning, as one storm cell after another rode roughshod over Clinton, PA, we received more than half of our average monthly amount of rain. Since then, we have received another 1.07 inches of rain. And it's still raining.

Most of the vegetables seem to have survived so far, although I have had to basically replant many of the beans and potatoes, squishing the muddy soil up around their stems to hold them upright again. The sweet corn got flooded and is not looking too good, but I think that may have more to do with a few bad calves and deer than with the weather!

All I know is....I'm lookin' forward to some sunshine:)

No comments: