Monday, August 18, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good: The tomatoes are ripening!!!! Yeah!!!!!




The Bad: Something has been eating them!!!!





The Ugly: It wasn't easy (they are good at hiding!), but I found two of the culprits this afternoon (my mom also found one in another garden, yesterday) - the dreaded Tomato Horn Worm!!!!


I'm still not sure how I feel about killing them. Actually, I do know how I feel. I don't like it. I think it's wrong - as all killing is. But, selfish/greedy human that I am...I killed them. It wasn't easy and I still feel yucky about it, but I killed them. All because I didn't want to share my newly ripening tomatoes! I wonder what Jesus would have done???:)

By the way...for your information/edification...if you happen to find a horn worm that has little white egg-like sacs on it, DO NOT KILL it! Those sacs are actually cocoons of the horn worm's natural predator - the Braconid Wasp. Also...I don't really think tomato worms are ugly - I think they're pretty cool-looking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Jesus probably would want a nice tomato. He did eat fish, you know, so it isn't like he never killed anything.

:D

Myrna said...

Good point, Paul!! Thanks.


Still...it was yucky. They squirt green slime when you smush 'em:(

Myrna said...

I just realized how "girly" my comment sounded. I'm usually not so squeamish, but come on...green slime!